Regional Workshop on CTBTO
for States in the Pacific
8-9 May 2008
Government of Austria
Government of Samoa
The workshop aims to:
- enhance the understanding of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), the work of the Preparatory Commission and the technologies of the CTBT verification regime;
- promote the entry into force and universality of the CTBT;
- enhance awareness of the verification regime and promote capacity building measures in the region;
- review possible benefits of applying CTBT verification technologies for civil and scientific purposes, including promoting and sharing information;
- explore and identify various ways and means to promote cooperation among States in the above mentioned areas.
The working language of the workshop will be English.
Point of Contact:
Ms Michelle G. DELINDE
International Cooperation Section
Legal and External Relations Division
Provisional Technical Secretariat
Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive
Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization
Vienna International Centre
P.O. Box 1200, 1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.: +43 1 26030 6145
Fax: +43 1 26030 5861
Further details relating to the workshop will be provided at a later stage.
Invited States should nominate one participant who can be either a representative from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Science and Technology, or Defence, or from parliament, or a technical expert in the field of CTBT monitoring technologies, or in the management and operation of IMS stations or National Data Centres.
Representatives of regional and international organizations working in areas relevant to the workshop themes will be invited to participate in the workshop as speakers. However, the Provisional Technical Secretariat (PTS) will not pay the cost of attendance of those participants.
Nominations should be sent to the International Cooperation Section of the PTS (please see the address above) through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or other competent official authority responsible for CTBT related issues.
Deadline for Application:
The completed Participation Form together with the attached short professional curriculum vitae, indicating the relevance of the candidate’s function to CTBT related work, should be received by the PTS no later than 31 March 2008.
Travel, accommodation and daily subsistence allowance for participants from the invited developing countries will be covered by the PTS.
(1) Overview of the CTBT, including its political significance, ratification, national implementation and membership benefits;
(2) CTBT verification regime and capacity building measures in the Pacific, including International Monitoring System, International Data Centre, and capacity building measures in the Pacific;
(3) International Cooperation in the Pacific, including the tsunami warning system and CTBT verification related technologies for the region.
Other pertinent information: