Technical Training Programme for Station Operators Using SPALAX Noble Gas Detector Systems
(Participants to be nominated by invited States.)
11-15 January 2010
- To provide radionuclide station operators with the technical basis and the practical capability to perform repair that may be necessary during the operation of SPALAX Noble Gas Detector Systems
- To provide hands-on training and practical lessons on SPALAX equipment that is important for its maintenance.
Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO)
Environment S.A., France
The working language of the course will be English.
Point of Contact:
Ms Victoria TURNER
Associate Training Officer
Capacity Building and Training Section
International Data Centre Division
Provisional Technical Secretariat
Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive
Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization
Vienna International Centre
P.O. Box 1200, 1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.: +43 1 26030 6186/6132
Fax: +43 1 26030 5973
Technical staff of IMS radionuclide stations who are responsible for the operation and maintenance of their radionuclide stations.
Nominations together with the registration forms should be submitted only through established official channels (their permanent missions to the Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO or Ministries of Foreign Affairs) to the PTS focal point (please see contact details above) no later than 10 December 2009
However, pending the official nomination, the participant may fax the registration form upon its approval by a director of the institution or firm, to allow timely travel and accommodation arrangements by the PTS.
A letter of acceptance will be sent to the accepted candidate after his/her official nomination.
No official letter of acceptance will be sent out until the participant's registration form is received by the PTS through the official channels (permanent mission to the Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO or Ministry for Foreign Affairs) .
Registration Form: PDF
Deadline for Application:
The completed registration form must be received by the PTS no later than 10 December 2009.
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide a daily subsistence allowance (DSA) and financial support to cover travel costs.
- The DSA will be sufficient to cover accommodation and related expenses during the training programme.
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route.
- Participants may, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to purchase their tickets locally, but only if this proves to be most cost efficient for the PTS and has been authorized by the PTS in advance.
- Introduction into station opertions and overview of the Station Specific Operator's Manual (SSOM);
- Non-routine operations and use of the SPALAX system software, including (i) operational principles of the noble gas system and its control via the SPALAX software; (ii) explanation and use of routine and non-routine sequences; and (iii) use of the System's user manual;
- Detector and gas volume measurement calibration and checks, including (i) detector calibration principles and processes; and (ii) calibration and check of the gas quantification system.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting actions and activities, including (i) filter and membrane exchanges; and (ii) replacement of ovens, exchange of sensors, refilling refrigerant to the detector cooler;
- Practical or mock exercises, to demonstrate preventive maintenance and troubleshooting actions, and detector system warning and cooling techniques.
Other pertinent information:
(1) The training programme is open only for station operators from invited countries.
The PTS will organize the accommodation for the participants.
Participants will be expected to pay for the hotel out of their DSA that they receive from a representative of the PTS upon their arrival at the training programme venue.
All participant shall be covered under the Global Medical Insurance scheme for the PTS trainees and under thirty party liability insurance.