TECHNICAL TRAINING FOR WAVEFORM STATION OPERATORS OF JOINT IMS AND USGS STATIONS
26 - 30 September 2016
The working language will be English
ADMINISTRATIVE POINT OF CONTACT
Ms. Elena Fazilova
Training Assistant, IDC/CBT
CTBTO Preparatory Commission
P.O.Box 1200, A- 1400 Vienna
Tel.:+43 1 26030 6258
Fax:+43 1 26030 5973
To provide Station Operators with the basic knowledge and technical understanding on the operations, maintenance and management of an IMS station using waveform technology and, more specifically, to provide hands-on training for the various operational and maintenance procedures.
The five (5) day TTP will be conducted by PTS and USGS Staff and will cover the following topics:
- Overview of sensors, digitizers and equipment used in IMS Stations covering all hardware functionality, input and output requirements, appropriate applications, installation techniques, initial set-up parameters and methods of calibration;
- Demonstration, as well as hands-on training, into digitizer software functionality when paired with sensors, covering information management, configuration and data monitoring. The software demonstration shall focus on maintenance and operational issues, including remote troubleshooting, common error indicators, likely problem causes and potential fixes;
- Extensive demonstration and hands-on opportunity to connect and pair sensors to digitizers which focuses on field installation issues, required common and specialized tools and testing equipment, initial set-up parameters, common error indicators, likely problem causes and potential fixes, and fine tuning the installed system to achieve desired data quality results.
Station Operators of IMS Auxiliary Seismic Stations which also form part of the GSN (USGS/ASL) Seismic Network and directly concerned with the operation, maintenance and repair of equipment at these stations. Candidates must be proficient in English.
Invited States Signatories should nominate participants who are station operators involved in the operation and maintenance of the following stations:
AFI, FURI, GUMO, HNR, KOWA, LVC, MSKU, PMG, PTGA, RCBR, SDV, SJG, SFJD.
Applicants are encouraged to complete the following e-learning modules:
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND DEADLINE
Nominations together with the registration forms should be submitted only though established official channels (their Permanent Missions to the Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO or Ministries of Foreign Affairs) to the PTS point of contact above, no later than 15 July 2016.
However, pending the official nomination, the participants may email the registration upon its approval by a director of the institution or firm, to allow timely travel and accommodation arrangements by the PTS.
Applicants are requested to register via the following registration form:
TT_Waveform SO_IMS and USGS Stations
In accordance with the Staff regulations and rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide the following:
- A Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) that is sufficient to cover related expenses during the technical programme;
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the flight ticket to the participants for the most direct and economic route;
- Funded participants are not allowed to purchase their own tickets unless, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to do so and only if this proves to be most cost efficient for the PTS;
- The PTS will book a hotel and participants will receive their DSA upon arrival in Vienna; and
- Health insurance will be provided that covers the duration of the training.
Requirement: Scanned passport copies.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION
Participants should apply for visas, if needed, at the corresponding consular office upon receipt of an Acceptance Note Verbale from the Provisional Technical Secretariat, in order to ensure timely processing.