The International Scientific Studies Project (ISS)
Science for Security
A 66 page PDF publication containing information on the eight ISS topic areas that were discussed in Vienna, Austria from 10-12 June 2009.
Eight page PDF brochure containing information on the ISS09 conference.
A PDF report identifies scientific outcomes relevant to the needs of the CTBTO verification regime.
International Scientific Studies Project
- Global undertaking open to scientific experts and institutions around the world, which was launched in March 2008.
- Involves a series of independent scientific studies and assessments to address the readiness and capability of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) to detect nuclear explosions worldwide.
- Focuses on the detection and location capabilities of the 337 facilities making up the CTBT’s International Monitoring System (IMS).
- Addresses the ability of the IMS to characterize observed events.
- Evaluates the geological and radionuclide technologies and methods used for on-site inspection (OSI) technologies.
- Explores the use of data, infrastructure and knowledge of the Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO in support of scientific, humanitarian and other security related applications.
- Studies will be carried out by international scientists and institutions. The Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO will facilitate and coordinate the project.
• Carry out scientific studies and assessments through a coordinated international effort to evaluate the readiness and capability of the CTBT verification system to detect nuclear explosions in all environments.
• Explore how scientific developments might further improve on these capabilities.
• Assess the timeliness, quality and quantity of data which are produced, transmitted, processed and distributed.
Examine the application of data obtained from the verification technologies for civil and scientific purposes.
• Address how to facilitate national capacity building.
The ISS Topic Areas (click for more info) :
Seismology, Infrasound, Hydroacoustics, Radionuclide Monitoring,
Atmospheric Transport Modelling, System Performance, On-site Inspection and Data Mining