Cross-Regional Workshop for CTBTO International Cooperation:
"Twelve Years of the CTBT: Achievements and Perspectives"
1-2 July 2008
Provisional Technical Secretariat of the Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO)
Government of Turkey
The workshop aims to:
- review CTBT related achievements in support of the nuclear non-proliferation regime;
- promote the entry into force and universality of the CTBT;
- enhance understanding of the CTBT;
- facilitate capacity building for the purpose of implementation of the CTBT;
- discuss civil and scientific applications of the CTBT verification regime and their benefits to Member States;
- discuss the verifiability of the Treaty's monitoring system.
The working language of the workshop will be English.
Point of Contact:
Ms Michelle G. DELINDE
International Cooperation Section
Legal and External Relations Division
Provisional Technical Secretariat
Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive
Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization
Vienna International Centre
P.O. Box 1200, 1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.: +43 1 26030 6145
Fax: +43 1 26030 5861
Further details relating to the workshop will be provided at a later stage.
Invited States are encouraged to nominate one high level representative, who can be either a representative from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Science and Technology, or Defence, or from parliament, or a technical expert in the field of CTBT monitoring technologies, or in the management and operation of International Monitoring System or National Data Centres.
Representatives of regional and international organizations working in areas relevant to the workshop themes will be invited to participate in the workshop at their own expense.
The Participation Form should be filled in for all nominated participants.
The Participation Form together with the attached short professional curriculum vitae, indicating the relevance of the candidate's function to CTBT related work, should be submitted to the PTS through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or other competent official authority responsible for CTBT related issues.
Deadline for Application:
2 June 2008
The PTS will provide travel, accommodation and daily subsistence allowance for invited speakers, as well as for participants from the invited developing countries upon receipt of an official request from the nominating government.
(1) The CTBTO in support of the nuclear non-proliferation regime and in the context of present day global proliferation challenges;
(2) Implementing the CTBT: technical compliance and facilitation of capacity building;
(3) Verifiability and worldwide coverage of the Treaty's monitoring system;
(4) Civil and scientific benefits for States Signatories.
Other pertinent information:
(1) Open only to invited States
Each participant is responsible for the application and organization of his/her own visa requirements.