Operations and Maintenance Workshop
10-14 November 2008
The objectives set for the workshop are:
(1) Present, gather feedback and refine, if necessary, the roles and responsibilities of the Provisional Technical Secretariat (PTS), host country, station operators, contractors and any other agencies for operations and life-cycle support of the International Monitoring System (IMS) facilities;
(2) Present and gather feedback on how to improve the performance and sustainment of the IMS network;
(3) Present and gather feedback on IMS Configuration Management;
(4) Discuss improvements to IMS network management tools and facility specific software tools;
(5) Present, discuss experience with and further develop the Station Specific Operational Manuals (SSOM);
(6) Discuss data quality control methods, parameters and procedures.
The working language of the workshop will be English.
Point of Contact:
Services and Training Unit
Services, Training and Quality Control Section
International Data Centre Division
Provisional Technical Secretariat
Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive
Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization
Vienna International Centre
P.O. Box 1200, 1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.: +43 1 26030 6186/ 6132
Fax: +43 1 26030 5973
Further details relating to the workshop will be provided at a later stage.
The workshop is aimed towards station operators and support contractors of the Preparatory Commission.
Due to the very technical nature of the Workshop, which will include hands-on training on the operation and maintenance (O&M) tools, participation by technical staff involved in the daily operation of IMS stations is strongly encouraged.
States Signatories wishing to nominate experts are requested to inform the PTS (see points of contact above) through their Permanent Missions by 15 September 2008.
Participants are requested to complete the attached registration form and send it to the points of contact by 15 September 2008.
Participants should indicate on the registration form whether they intend to submit a poster or a PowerPoint presentation relevant to the objectives of the workshop.
Deadline for Application:
Nominations together with the completed registration form should be submitted to the PTS not later than 15 September 2008.
No registration fee will be charged.
The PTS will bear the administrative costs of the workshop.
Travel costs, daily subsistence allowance (DSA), health insurance, etc., are to be borne by the participants.
INVITED PARTICIPANTS FROM DEVELOPING COUNTRIES
Subject to the availability of funds, the PTS will provide financial assistance (travel and DSA) to a limited number of station operators. In order to be considered for this assistance, invited presentations must be submitted to the PTS (see contact details above) by 25 July 2008. The PTS will make arrangements for issuance of flight tickets and hotel bookings for subsidized participants. For further information, please see Posters and Presentations below.
Provisional Operations and Maintenance (O&M) of the International Monitoring System:
- Presentation and discussion of the various roles and responsibilities for full IMS O&M, whether they are of the PTS, the host country, the station operator, a contractor or any other agency;
- Discussion on methods to improve the performance and sustainment of the IMS network;
- Presentation and discussion related to the approach to Configuration Management, logistics data gathering and improvements to IMS network management tools (Reporting and State of Health systems);
- “Hands on” demonstration and exercise in reporting and troubleshooting IMS problems and configuration changes;
- Analysis of current procedures and establishing ways to improve O&M operating and reporting procedures;
- Discussion of options and methods of station troubleshooting prioritization.
In addition there will be a forum for Integrated Logistics Support (ILS) discussions as well as the opportunity to share experiences in operating and maintaining the IMS network.
Posters and Presentations:
The PTS will solicit presentations and posters from the Member States on the topics of the workshop.
Participants should indicate on the registration form whether they intend to submit a poster or a PowerPoint presentation relevant to the objectives of the Workshop.
The PTS will prepare presentations on each of the topics.
PowerPoint presentations shall not exceed 10 minutes.
Posters should be in either A0 or B1 format.
The PTS will support travel and daily susbsistance allowance for a limited number of participants from developing countries.
INVITED PARTICIPANTS FROM DEVELOPING COUNTRIES
The PTS intends to invite station operators from developing countries to give a presentation.
Station operators interested in being invited to give a presentation relevant to the objectives of the workshop are encouraged to submit the proposed title and an abstract for consideration to the PTS as soon as possible or no later than 25 July 2008.
Subject to the availability of funds, the PTS will support travel and DSA for a limited number of participants from developing countries.
In order to be considered for the financial assistance, invited presentations must be submitted by 25 July 2008.
Other pertinent information:
(1) Open only to States Signatories.
A special rate of 179 euro per night, excluding breakfast, has been arranged at the following hotel:
Participants must make their own hotel reservations by 26 September 2008.
Please note that it is not expected that participants must stay in this hotel.
Kindly ensure that you clearly indicate participation in the Operations and Maintenance Workshop and request the special CTBTO rate when making a room reservation.
Participants should apply for visas, if needed, at the corresponding consular office of Austria at least 30 days prior to the opening date of the workshop in order to ensure timely processing. The PTS will provide personal invitations to visa applicants. No visas can be delivered upon arrival.
(4) Health and Accident Insurance
It is strongly recommended that prior to departure to Austria, all participants should acquire health and accident insurance for the duration of the workshop.
For further details, please see the Operation and Maintenance Workshop Announcement.