TECHNICAL TRAINING PROGRAMME FOR IMS STATION OPERATORS
OF AUXILIARY SEISMIC STATIONS JOINTLY OPERATED WITH IRIS/IDA
Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology IRIS/IDA
15 - 19 October 2012
The working language of the workshop will be English
Point(s) Of Contact
Ms. Jennifer Phoa-Sun
IDC/CBT, CTBTO Preparatory Commission
Vienna International Centre
1400 Vienna, Austria
tel.:+43 1 26030 6171
Fax:+43 1 26030 5973
To provide Station Operators with the basic knowledge and technical understanding of the Operations, Maintenance and Management of an IMS Station using Waveform technology and, more specifically, to provide hands-on training for the various operational and maintenance procedures.
The five day TTP will be conducted by PTS and IRIS/IDA Staff and will cover the following topics:
- Overview of sensors, digitizers and equipment used in IMS stations covering all hardware functionality, input and output requirements, appropriate applications, installation techniques, initial set-up parameters and methods of calibration;
- Demonstration, as well as hands-on training on digitizer software funcitonality when paired with sensors, covering information management, configuration and data monitoring. The software demonstration shall focus on maintenance and operational issues including remote troubleshooting, cojmmon error indicators, likely probolem causes an dpotential fixes;
- Extensive demonstration and hands-on opportunities to connect and pair sensors to digitizers which focus on field installation issues, required common and specialized tools and testing equipment, initial set-up parameters, common error indicators, likely problem causes and potential fixes, and fine tuning the installed system to achieve desired data quality results;
- Concept of operations and maintenance in the Provisional Technical Secretariat (PTS);
- Communication with the PTS: reporting procedures and reporting tools (IRS and IRS client);
- Hands-on for communication with the PTS.
Invited States Signatories should nominate participant(s) who are Station Operators involved in the operation and maintenance of the following Stations:
AS018; AS025; AS038; AS044; AS060; AS078; AS084; AS085; AS087; AS099; AS100; AS103; AS110.
In an effort to ensure that relevant technical training is provided to the appropriate person, States Signatories are encouraged to nominate individuals that are directly related to their IMS facility.
In order to keep the Provisional Technical Secretariat (PTS) record for the IMS facilities up-to-date, any updates are requested to be ammended via an official Note Verbale nomination of Station Operator or an updated list of local support provided by the Station Operator in a timely manner.
Nominations, together with the registration forms, should be submitted only through established official channels (the respective Permanent Mission to the Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO or Ministries of Foreign Affairs) to the PTS point of contact above, no later than 15 August 2012.
However, pending the official nomination, the participant may fax the registraton upon its approval by a Director of the institution or firm, to allow timely travel and accommodation arrangements by the PTS.
Registration Form Initiates file downloadWORD
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules, and the Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide a daily subsistence allowance (DSA) and financial support to cover travel costs.
- The DSA will be sufficient to cover related expenses during the training programme;
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route;
- Participants may, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to purchase their ticket locally, but only if this proves to be the most cost efficient for the PTS and has been authorized by the PTS in advance.
Other Pertinent Information
- The training programme is open only for station operators from invited countries;
- Accommodation:The PTs will organize accommodation for the participants.
- Insurance: All participants shall be covered under the Global Medical Insurance scheme for the PTS trainess under third party liability insurance.