ADVANCED TECHNICAL TRAINING FOR
RADIONUCLIDE STATIONS OPERATORS
WITH SPALAX EQUIPMENT
11-14 November 2013
The working language of the technical training will be English
Point(s) Of Contact
Ms. Chen Yu Liu-Kiebacher
Administrative Clerk, IDC/CBT
CTBTO Preparatory Commission
Vienna International Centre
1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.:+43 1 26030 6588
Fax:+43 1 26030 5973
To provide IMS station operators who already have experience operating SPALAX systems with the required in-depth knowledge and technical understanding of SPALAX noble gas monitoring systems in order to perform more complex operations and maintenance tasks.
SPALAX process analysis and diagnosis at the expert level:
- SPALAX Process data analysis on expert level: detecting, understanding, and resolution of problems - examples and practical exercises;
- Operator support for troubleshooting;
- TCD replacement and calibration: expert;
HP Ge detector:
- HPGe detector system - installation and replacement of detector and MCA, hardware and software (Genie-2000) related issues;
- Calibration of the HPGe detector system. Preparation of calibration certificates;
- Detector background measurement;
Termal conductivity detector (TCD) and SPALAX electronics:
- TCD replacement and calibration: expert;
- Diagnosis and replacement of electronic cards;
- Replacement of compressor and/or compressor head;
- Maintenance Procedures level 3 on air compressor;
- Operation of safety valve;
- Non-return valve inspection;
- Tips seals replacement;
- Scroll bearings greasing;
- Greasing of the pairs of bearing;
- V-belt Replacement;
- Scroll air end (if item in spares)
- Installing and setting up NDC-in-a-Box with SPALAX analysis capability;
- Checking of calibrations for the analysis;
- Nature of Xenon signature of interest, detection of isotopes, detection capability, typical concentrations;
- Analysis of SPALAX HPGe-spectra. Different methods;
- Checking of and problem tracking:
1. Calibration problems - loss of resolution, shifting of energy calibration; 2. Radon in-break problems - indications;
3. Data analysis problems;
4. Input data problems;
5. Indications of the sample preparation problems.
Invited States Signatories should nominate participant(s) who are Station Operators involved in the operation and maintenance of the following Stations:
RN13; RN27; RN29; RN31; RN33 and RN45.
In an effort to ensure that relevant technical training is provided to the appropriate person, please nominate technical staff of IMS radionuclide stations directly responsible for the operation and maintenance of SPALAX noble gas systems, preferably with more than 18 months of experience.
In order to keep the Provisional Technical Secretariat (PTS) record for IMS facilities up to date, please either amend them via an official Stations Operator Note Verbale nomination or request the current Stations Operator to communicate to the PTS an updated list of their local support in a timely manner.
Nominations together with the registration forms should be submitted only through established official channels (their Permanent Missions to the Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO or Ministries of Foreign Affairs) to the PTS point of contact above, not later than 30 September 2013.
However, pending the official nomination, participants may email the registration, upon its approval by a director of the institution or firm, to allow timely travel and accommodation arrangements by the PTS.
Applicants are requested to use the provided form: Initiates file downloadWORD
(Applicable to PTS-funded participants only)
In accordance with the Staff regulations and rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide a Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) and financial support to cover the travel costs.
- The DSA will be sufficient to cover accommodation and related expenses during the training programme;
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the flight tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route;
- Participants may, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to purchase their ticket locally, but only if this proves to be most cost efficient for the PTS and has been authorized by the PTS in advance.
Other Pertinent Information
- The training program is open only to Station Operators from invited countries.
- Access to relevant e-learning modules will be provided to participants in advance.
- Insurance: All participants shall be covered under the Global Medical Insurance scheme for the PTS trainees under third party liability insurance.