ALPHA TESTERS GROUP FOR THE EXTENDED NDC-IN-A-BOX
Vienna International Centre, Austria
24 to 28 March 2014 (tentative)
The working language will be English
Administrative Point of Contact
Ms. Jennifer Phoa-Sun
Training Clerk, IDC/CBT
Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO
Vienna International Centre
1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.:+43 1 26030 6171
Fax:+43 1 26030 5973
The PTS will integrate various waveform data analysis tools including SeisComP3 (SC3) and Geotool into a new software distribution called "Extended NDC-in-a-Box". This project is funded by the European Union in the context of the EU Council Decision 2012/699/CFSP of 13 November 2012 (EU/CTBTO Joint Action V).
The role of the Alpha Testers Group (ATG) is to represent the NDC-in-a-Box user community and help specify the needs of those who will use the final product. The ATG monitors that the final solution will meet the needs of end-users in terms of quality, functionality and ease of use. To do so, the ATG provides input and responses to the developers from the beginning, performs alpha testing of final deliverables and provides feedback on the results to the development team. The ATG is very much a working group that is expected to reach consensus on prioritization of features and user interface issues.
Activities and Responsibilities
- Participate in a 4-day requirements-definition workshop from 24-28 March 2014 (subject to change) and provide guidance on the prioritization of features to be developed;
- At that workshop, the ATG members are expected to describe to the development team the use case(s) and operational constraints for running the Extended NDC-in-a-Box at their NDC;
- Participate in an alpha testers' workshop in 2015, to review software developed so far and provide feedback on problems that must be fixed before the start of the alpha test activity at the NDC. During the workshop, the ATG will review user interface prototypes and provide guidance on the usability and friendliness of the interface;
- Via teleconferencing, attend demos of new modules delivered throughout the lifetime of the project and provide feedback on them;
- Liaise with other technical users in their NDC and represent their opinions on the ATG;
- Serve as alpha-tester of Extended NDC-in-a Box releases, including installing releases at their site, executing acceptance tests and providing feedback to the developers; and
- Inform the NDC-in-a-Box user community about their experience as ATG members through presentations, for instance at the NDC Workshops.
Members of the ATG should be experienced users of Geotool and/or SeisComP3 and should have an overview of the tools, protocols and processes their NDC uses to obtain and process IMS and non-IMS waveform data. NDCs involved in Alpha Testing activities are expected to cover all costs related to the execution of the above activities, except for the travel costs for two workshops, which will be covered by the CTBTO. In particular, such NDCs are expected to have access to computer resources on which to test the software as well as to make available time for the ATG members to perform the above mentioned activities. It is estimated that each ATG member will need to devote around 20 days of work until mid-2015 to ATG activities.
Application Procedure and Deadline
Nominations together with the registration form should be submitted only through established official channels (their Permanent Missions to the Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO or Ministries of Foreign Affairs) to the PTS point of contact above, no later than 28 February 2014.
However, pending the official nomination, the applicant may fax the registration upon its approval by a Director of the institution, to allow timely travel and accommodation arrangements by the PTS.
Applicants are requested to use the following registration form: WORD
In accordance with the Staff regulations and rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide the following:
- A Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) that is sufficient to cover related expenses during the ATG workshops;
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the flight tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route;
- Funded participants are not allowed to purchase their own tickets unless, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to do so and only if this proves to be most cost efficient for the PTS;
- The PTS will book a hotel and cover the costs for the accommodation and training participants will receive their remaining Daily Subsistence Allowance upon arrival in Vienna; and
- Health insurance will be provided that covers the duration of the ATG workshops.
Other Pertinent Information
Participants should apply for visas, if needed, at the corresponding consular office upon receipt of an Acceptance Note Verbale from the PTS, in order to ensure timely processing. The PTS will provide personal invitations to visa applicants.