ASEAN NDC DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP AND TRAINING
Vietnam Agency for Radiation and Nuclear Safety (VARANS)
Institute of Geophysics in Viet Nam
United States Department of Energy (US DOE), National Security Administration (NNSA), Washington D.C.
Hanoi, Viet Nam
6 - 10 July 2015
The working language will be English
Administrative Point of Contact
Ms. Elena Fazilova
IDC/CBT, Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO
Vienna International Centre
1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.:+43 1 26030 6258
Fax:+43 1 26030 5973
The objectives of the Workshop are:
- To strengthen the knowledge of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) and the work of the Preparatory Commission;
- To further build-up the capacity of countries to participate in the implementation of the verification regime;
- To provide a forum towards assessing how participants are making use of IMS data and IDC products, including for civil and scientific applications; and
- To promote the exchange of experience and expertise among the NDCs.
The objectives of the subsequent Training are:
- To provide participants with hands-on training using modern radionuclide and seismological tools and techniques for analysis of IMS and national data to meet State obligations under the CTBT;
- Introduce the radionuclide data analysis component of the IDC NDC-in-a-box;
- To provide participants with hand-on training using components of the Seismic WaveForm Tool (SWFT) and GeoTool for seismic wave interpretation;
- To train participants in software for measuring amplitudes to support seismic attenuation analysis;
- To introduce participants to the Regional Seismic Travel Time (RSTT) model for improved seismic event location in nuclear explosion monitoring; and
- To ensure proficiency in the use of these analytical seismic monitoring tools so that they may be shared with other NDC staff at participants' home institutions.
Invited States should nominate participant(s) who will be involved in the establishment, operation and/or management of their National Data Centre.
The training part of the event is open only to NDC waveform and radionuclide experts from invited countries.
Up to two seismic monitoring experts from each country may stay for both the workshop and the subsequent training. One radionuclide expert as well as one NDC manager may participate in the beginning workshop portion.
Application Procedure and Deadline
Applications should be submitted to the Provisional Technical Secretariat of the Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO, to be received no later than 30 April 2015.
Registration Form: ASEAN NDC Development W&T
Submitted applications will be reviewed and successful applicants will be notified.
Applicable to PTS-funded participants only. For those funded by the US DOE, equivalent rules are applied.
In accordance with the Staff regulations and rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide the following:
- A Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) that is sufficient to cover related expenses during the workshop and training program;
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the flight tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route;
- Funded participants are not allowed to purchase their own tickets unless, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to do so and only if this proves to be most cost efficient for the PTS;
- The PTS will book a hotel and cover the costs for the accommodation and technical meeting participants will receive their remaining Daily Subsistence Allowance upon arrival in Vienna; and
- Health insurance will be provided that covers the duration of the workshop and training.
Requirement: Scanned passport copies.
Other Pertinent Information
The training program is only open to NDC Technical Staff from invited countries.
Participants should apply for visas, if needed, at the corresponding consular office upon receipt of an Acceptance Note Verbale from the PTS, in order to ensure timely processing. The PTS will provide personal invitations to visa applicants.
It is strongly recommended that prior to departure all participants should acquire health and accident insurance for the duration of the workshop and training.