INTERNATIONAL HYDROACOUSTICS WORKSHOP 2015 (IHW2015)
Vienna International Centre (VIC), Vienna
29 - 30 June 2015
The working language will be English
Administrative Point of Contact (POC)
Ms. Elena Fazilova
IDC/CBT, Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO
Vienna International Centre
1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.:+43 1 26030 6258
Fax:+43 1 26030 5973
The International Hydroacoustics Workshop 2015 will cover three main aspects of hydroacoustics related to monitoring of the CTBT (Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty):
- Civil and scientific applications of CTBTO data and products;
- Signal processing methods for verification purposes;
- Technological advancements in marine engineering, particularly in ocean observatories, pertinent to IMS hydroacoustic network sustainability and improvement.
The main themes will be:
- Civilian applications of IMS data;
- Signal processing techniques for hydroacoustic event detection and evaluation via different types of sensors: Suspended IMS hydrophones, non-IMS Hydrophones/Arrays/acoustic sensors as well as Ocean Bottom Seismometers (OBS) from Ocean Observatories and IMS T-stations (Seismic stations);
- Reliability of modular components in ocean applications and their maintainability with/without Remotely Operated underwater Vehicles (ROV);
- Upcoming acoustic/seismic trends in Ocean Observatories;
- Ocean Observatories as "platforms of opportunity" for IMS permanent or temporary replacement hydrophones;
- Risk mitigation in design, installation and operation of submarine cabled systems.
As always, CTBT-related contributions on other relevant topics not outlined above are also welcome.
The workshop is aimed towards all scientists, engineers and other persons involved in hydroacoustics, ocean observatories, acoustic sensor technologies, cabled and autonomous underwater systems and related fields.
Please be informed that the Provisional Technical Secretariat solicits presentations and posters from participants on the topics of the Workshop.
The participants are encouraged to also participate in the SnT2015 preceding this workshop.
Application Procedure and Deadline
Applicants are requested to visit our website, ctnw.ctbto.org, and apply online latest by 15 March 2015.
Financial support may be available to a limited number of participants. Such assistance must be requested at the time of registration by selecting the relevant box during online registration) and no later than 15 March 2015. Financial support will be considered only for those who have submitted an abstract that is accepted. Participants are strongly encouraged to first seek travel and participation funds from non-CTBTO sources.
State Signatories wishing to nominate experts are requested to inform the Provisional Technical Secretariat (see Administrative POC) through their respective Permanent Mission.
The participants are encouraged to also register for and participate in the CTBT Science and Technology 2015 Conference, from 22 - 26 June 2015, Vienna, Austria, preceding this workshop. For further details please visit the Conference website.
Applicants are invited to submit an abstract relevant to the objectives of the Hydroacoustic Workshop via the registration website ctnw.ctbto.org before the registration deadline of 15 March 2015. You will be prompted to select whether your prefer it to be a poster or an oral presentation.
Applicable to PTS-funded participants only
In accordance with the Staff regulations and rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will the following:
- A Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) that is sufficient to cover related expenses during the training programme;
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the flight tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route;
- Funded participants are not allowed to purchase their own tickets unless, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to do so and only if this proves to be most cost efficient for the PTS;
- The PTS will book a hotel and cover the costs for the accommodation and training participants will receive their remaining Daily Subsistence Allowance upon arrival; and
- Health insurance will be provided that covers the duration of the training course.
Requirement: scanned passport copies.
Other Pertinent Information
Power Point presentations shall not exceed 20 minutes. Posters should be in either A0 or B1 format.
Participants should apply for visas, if needed, at the corresponding consular office upon receipt of an Acceptance Note Verbale from the PTS, in order to ensure timely processing. The PTS will provide personal invitations to visa applicants.
It is strongly recommended that prior to departure all participants should acquire health and accident insurance for the duration of the workshop.