2016 NDC Workshop
9 - 13 May 2016
The working language will be English
POINT OF CONTACT
Ms. Elena Fazilova
Administrative Assistant, IDC/CBT
CTBTO Preparatory Commission
Vienna International Centre
A-1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.:+43 1 26030 6258
Fax:+43 1 26030 5973
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES
The 2016 NDC Workshop is being organized by the Provisional Technical Secretariat (PTS) of the Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) in cooperation with the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS) and the Government of Ireland. It will be held in Dublin, Ireland, from 9 to 13 May 2016.
As discussed in WGB-44 and WGB-45 NDCS Sessions, the Workshop will focus on the ability of National Data Centres (NDCs) to carry out their verification activities, including their approaches to access IMS data and IDC products; and SHI and RN data sharing among NDCs.
The objectives of the workshop are to:
- Provide a forum for NDC experts to share experience in fulfilling their verification responsibilities;
- Provide NDC feedback to the PTS on all aspects of the data, products, services and support NDCs in their work; under this objective, special emphasis will be put on:
- NDC contribution to Performance Monitoring and Testing (through NPEs and other means)
- Discussion on NDC involvement in the IDC Progressive Commissioning Plan, particularly:
- the recently completed phase 5a
- progress of phase 5b
- development of IDC Validation and Acceptance Plan
- Discussion of recent and on-going IDC projects:
- IDC software re-engineering project;
- Status of the extended NDC-in-a-box;
- Transition from GCI II to GCI III.
The NDC Preparedness Exercise currently in progress (NPE15) will be a key topic for discussion. The progress results of the NPE15 will be presented and discussed including analysis of the NPE15 event using IMS Data and other data obtained by national means. The scenario of the next NPE will also be drafted at this workshop.
In light of forthcoming events associated with the 20th anniversary of the CTBT and the CTBT Science and Technology Conference 2017 (SnT 2017), contributions on interaction between NDCs and research and development related topics will also be considered.
In accordance with the presentation and discussions of WGB-45 NDC Session, and pending NDC and WGB input that will determine the final agenda, the tentative topics for the NDC Workshop 2016 are:
PTS Data, Products, Services and Support
i) NDC Contribution to Performance Monitoring and Testing
ii) Discussion on NDC involvement in the IDC Progressive
iii) Discussion of recent and on-going IDC projects
iv) NDC feedback on PTS data, products, services and
NDC Preparedness Exercise 2015
i) Progress results of the NPE2015
ii) Plans for future exercises
i) Cooperation and Interaction in research and development
among the NDCs
ii) Information and Data sharing among DNCs,
iii) NDC feedback to the PTS
The workshop is open only to the CTBT States Signatories and is intended for persons involved in NDC related activities
States Signatories wishing to nominate experts are requested to inform the Provisional Technical Secretariat (see Point of Contact) through their respective Permanent Mission by the deadline of 15 March 2016.
Participants are requested to register online at the Commission's CTNW platform ctnw.ctbto.org
No registration fee will be charged. Travel costs, accommodation, daily subsistence allowance, health insurance, etc. are to be borne by the participants.
Subject to the availability of funds, the PTS will explore the possibility of providing limited financial assistance to some of the experts. Preference will be given to participants coming from countries with low or lower middle income in accordance with the World Development Indicators Database of the World Bank.
Participants requesting financial assistance have to submit an abstract to their suggested presentation relevant to a topic of the workshop together with their registration form. Applications for PTS support are required to arrive at the PTS strictly earlier or by 15 February 2016, otherwise the registration will be automatically considered without request for funding.
For participants receiving funding from the Commission, please note that in accordance with the Staff regulations and rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide the following:
- A Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) sufficient to cover related expenses during the workshop;
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route.
- Funded participants are not allowed to purchase their own tickets unless, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to do so and only if this proves to be most cost efficient for the PTS;
- Information on hotel booking and method of covering expenses will be sent to participants immediately after the registrations/application deadline; and
- Health insurance covering the duration of the workshop, including transportation time; will be provided.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION
The workshop is hosed by the Irish National Seismic Network INSN - NDC Ireland, at the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS) and is organized by the PTS in cooperation with the Government of Ireland.