2020 NDC Workshop
13-17 April 2020
The working language will be English
POINT OF CONTACT
Ms. Johanna Fessl
Training and Services Assistant, IDC/CBT
CTBTO Preparatory Commission
A-1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.:+43 1 26030 6484
Fax:+43 1 26030 5973
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES
The 2020 NDC Workshop is being organized by the Provisional Technical Secretariat (PTS) of the Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) in cooperation with the Government of the Kingdom of Spain.
The Workshop will be held in Toledo, Spain, from 13 to 17 April 2020.
The Workshop will focus on the ability of National Data Centres (NDCs) to carry out their verification activities, including their approaches to access IMS data and IDC products, and SHI and RN data sharing among NDCs.
The objectives of the workshop are to:
- Provide a forum for NDC experts to share experience in fulfilling their verification responsibilities;
- Provide NDC feedback to the PTS on all aspects of the data, products, services and support NDCs in their work; under this objective, special emphasis will be put on:
- NDC contribution to Performance Monitoring and Testing (through NPEs and other means);
- Discussion on NDC involvement in the IDC Progressive Commissioning Plan;
- Discussion of recent and ongoing IDC projects.
The NDC Preparedness Exercise currently in progress (NPE19) will be a key topic for discussion. The progress results of the NPE19 will be presented and discussed including analysis of the NPE19 event using IMS Data and other data obtained by national means. The scenario of the next NPE will also be drafted at this workshop.
Contributions on interaction between NDCs and research and development related topics will also be considered.
In accordance with the presentation and discussions of the WGB-52 NDC Session, and pending NDC and WGB input that will determine the final agenda, the tentative topics for the NDC Workshop 2020 are:
PTS Data, Products, Services and Support
> NDC Contribution to Performance Monitoring and Testing;
> Discussions on NDC involvement in the IDC Progressive
> Discussion of recent and on-going IDC projects;
> NDC feedback on PTS data, products, services and
NDC Preparedness Exercise 2019
>Progress results of the NPE2019;
>Plans for future exercises.
> Cooperation and Interaction in research and development among the NDCs;
> Information and Data sharing among DNCs; and
> NDC feedback to the PTS.
The workshop is open only to the CTBT States Signatories and is intended for persons involved in NDC related activities.
States Signatories wishing to nominate experts are requested to inform the Provisional Technical Secretariat (see Point of Contact) through their respective Permanent Mission by 13 December 2019
In addition, participants are requested to register online at the Commission's CTNW platform (https://ctnw.ctbto.org)
No registration fee will be charged. Travel costs, accommodation, daily subsistence allowance, health insurance, etc. are to be borne by the participants.
Subject to the availability of funds, the PTS will explore the possibility of providing limited financial assistance to some of the experts. Preference will be given to participants coming from countries with low or lower middle income in accordance with the World Development Indicators Database of the World Bank.
Participants requesting financial assistance have to submit an abstract to their suggested presentation relevant to a topic of the workshop together with their registration form.
Applications for PTS support are required to arrive at the PTS strictly earlier than or by 13 December 2019, otherwise the registration will be automatically considered without request for funding.
For participants receiving funding from the Commission, please note that in accordance with the Staff regulations and rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide the following:
- A Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) sufficient to cover related expenses during the workshop;
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route.
- Funded participants are not allowed to purchase their own tickets unless, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to do so and only if this proves to be most cost efficient for the PTS;
- Information on hotel booking and method of covering expenses will be sent to participants after the registration/application deadline; and
- Health insurance will be provided that covers the duration of the workshop, including transportation time.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION
Oral presentations shall not exceed 15 minutes. Posters should not exceed A0 size in portrait format.
The PTS will confirm the acceptance and the type of presentation (oral or poster) of the submitted abstract in the workshop agenda. Poster presenters will be given 1 minute to introduce their poster orally just prior to their poster session.
Participants should apply for visas, if needed, at the corresponding consular office upon receipt of an acceptance letter from the Provisional Technical Secretariat, in order to ensure timely processing.
If not PTS funded, it is strongly recommended that prior to departure all participants should acquire health and accident insurance for the duration of the workshop.