NDC-IN-A-BOX ALPHA TESTER GROUP (ATG) TECHNICAL MEETING
Vienna International Centre, Austria
21 - 22 March 2019
The working language of the workshop will be English
POINT(s) OF CONTACT
Capacity Building and Training Section
International Data Centre Division (IDC/CBT)
CTBTO Preparatory Commission
Vienna International Centre
1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.:+43 1 26030 6327
Fax:+43 1 26030 5973
The PTS will integrate the NET-VISA associator with SeisComP3 (SC3) and will incorporate the result of this effort into an upcoming NDC-in-a-Box release. This project is funded by the European Union in the context of the EU Council Decision (CFSP) 2018/298 of 16 February 2018 (Contribution Agreement CFSP/2018/05/CTBTO VII).
The NET-VISA associator was introduced in the operational IDC pipeline processing during 2017. The goal of this integration is to enable NDCs that process IMS data using the SeisComP3 automatic pipeline to create an event set that is closer to the one built at the IDC.
The role of the Alpha Testers Group (ATG) is to represent the NDC-in-a-Box user community and help specify the needs of those who will use the final product. The ATG monitors that the first full release of the software will meet the needs of end users in terms of quality, functionality, and ease of use. To do so, the ATG provides input and responses to the developers, performs alpha testing of final deliverables, and provides feedback on the results to the development team. The ATG is very much a working group that is expected to reach consensus on prioritization of features and user interface issues.
The purpose of the meeting announced here is to establish the ATG and kick-off the common work.
- Participate in a two day requirements and test plan definition technical meeting from 21 to 22 March 2019 (subject to change) and provide guidance on the prioritization of features to be developed.
- ATG members are expected to describe to the development team the use case(s) and operational constraints for running NET-VISA as part of their normal, SeisComp3 based automatic processing;
- ATG members are also expected to present a detailed test plan at that technical meeting. The test plan must include a comprehensive approach on how they expect to train NET-VISA with historical bulletins, including selection criteria of past event bulletins. It must also include a reference set of historical event bulletins to validate the trained system and a specification of an extended test run that compares IDC event bulletins with ones generated by the test system;
- Review software developed so far and provide feedback on problems that must be fixed before the start of the alpha test activity at the NDC;
- Via teleconferencing, attend demos of new features delivered throughout the lifetime of the project and provide feedback on them;
- Liaise with other technical users in their NDC and present their opinions on the ATG;
- Serve as alpha-testers of SeisComp3/NET-VISA releases, including installing releases at their site, executing acceptance tests and providing feedback to the developers; and
- Inform the NDC-in-a-Box user community about their experiences as ATG members through presentations, for instance at NDC Workshops.
- Participate in a 2 day test result technical meeting in the fourth quarter of 2019 (subject to change) and present a comprehensive evaluation of the results achieved.
Members of the ATG should be experienced users of SeisComp3 and should have an overview of the tools, protocols and processes their NDC uses to obtain and process IMS and non-IMS waveform data. As NET-VISA is an associator that utilizes a learning algorithm based on historical bulletins, ATG members must have access to event bulletins spanning an extended amount of time to train the system. Once the system has been trained, ATG members will use the NET-VISA associator within SeisComP3 to perform event detection and bulletin creation.
NDCs involved in Alpha Testing activities are expected to cover all costs related to the execution of the above activities, except for the travel costs for two workshops, which might be covered by the CTBTO.
In particular, such NDCs are expected to have access to computer resources on which to test the software as well as to make time available for the ATG Members to perform the activities above. It is estimated that each ATG member will need to devote around 20 days of work until Q4/2019 to ATG activities.
In order to be effective in this work, it is recommended that each participating NDC nominate only one person for ATG membership and that the ATG as a whole not exceed 5 to 8 members with broad geographical distribution. A careful selection will make sure that diverse approaches of using the SeisComP3/NET-VISA integration will be represented.
NDC Technical Staff are invited to submit their applications for this training course through established official channels (their Permanent Mission to the CTBTO or Ministry of Foreign Affairs) to the PTS point of contact above, no later than 4 January 2019.
However, pending official nomination, participants may email the registration, upon its approval by a Director of the institution, to allow for timely travel and accommodation arrangements by the PTS.
Registration form to be used:
Initiates file downloadRF ATG
Applications will be reviewed and applicants will be notified subsequently.
In accordance with the Staff regulations and rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide the candidates with daily subsistence allowance (DSA) and financial support to cover the travel costs.
- The DSA will be sufficient to cover related expenses during the workshop and training programme.
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route.
- Participants are not allowed to purchase their own tickets unless, under exceptional circumstances, they receive authorization to do so and only if this proves to be the most cost-effective option for the PTS.
- The PTS will book a hotel and cover the costs for accommodation and training participants will receive their remaining DSA upon arrival in Vienna; and
- All participants shall be covered under the Global Medical Insurance scheme for PTS trainees under third party liability insurance.
Requirement: Scanned passport copies
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION
Participants should apply for visas, if needed, at the corresponding Consular Office upon receipt of an Acceptance Note Verbale/Letter from the Provisional Technical Secretariat, in order to ensure timely processing.