Technical Training for Radionuclide Station Operators with SAUNA Equipment
To provide IMS station operators with the required knowledge and technical understanding of SAUNA noble gas monitoring systems in order to perform operations and maintenance tasks.
27 June to 1 July 2022
Invited State Signatories should nominate participant(s) who are station operators involved in the operation and maintenance of the following stations:
AUX04, AUX09, BRX11, CLX19, CNX22, GBX66, GBX68, JPX38, MRX43, MXX44, NOX49, NZX46, SEX63
Applications from other stations using SAUNA equipment may be considered on a space available basis.
In an effort to ensure that relevant technical training is provided to the appropriate person, please nominate technical staff of IMS radionuclide stations directly responsible for the operation and maintenance of SAUNA noble gas systems.
Applicants are encouraged to complete the following e-learning modules:
available upon direct request to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Candidates must be proficient in English.
Nominations together with the registration forms should be submitted only through established official channels (their Permanent Missions to the Preparatory Commission for the CTBTO or Ministries of Foreign Affairs) to the PTS point of contact above, not later than 9 May 2022.
However, pending the official nomination, the participants may fax the registration upon its approval by a director of the institution, to allow timely travel and accommodation arrangements by the PTS.
Applicants are requested to use the attached registration form, which is also available here.
9 May 2022
Point of Contact
Capacity Building and Training Section (IDC/CBT)
International Data Centre Division
CTBTO Preparatory Commission
Tel # +43-1-26030-6132
Fax # +43-1-26030-5973
In accordance with the staff regulations and rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide a Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) and financial support to cover travel costs.
- The DSA will be sufficient to cover related expenses during the training programme;
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the flight tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route;
- Funded participants are not allowed to purchase their own tickets unless, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to do so and only if this proves to be most cost efficient for the PTS;
- The PTS will do the hotel reservation and participants will pay the hotel themselves using their DSA which they receive upon arrival in Uppsala; and
- Health insurance will be provided for the duration of the training.
Introduction on the noble gas system,
- Daily routine operation of the system using the system software;
- Periodic system operations, non-routine operations and data management;
- System maintenance schedule and application of system manual.
- Preventive maintenance;
- Scheduled Maintenance Tasks- Practical exercises.
SAUNA Detector System Principles:
- Principles of beta-gamma measurement for radioxenon monitoring;
- Principles of the SAUNA spectrometry detection system.
SAUNA Local Operator:
- Installation of authentication;
- Practical exercise on how to adjust the detectors with the help of QC spectra evaluation.
Hands on Trouble-shooting :
- SAUNA SoH data analysis: detecting, understanding, and resolution of problems – examples and practical exercises, troubleshooting exercises using previous experience or past problems;
- Hardware (if applicable);
- Location dependent problems.
Other Pertinent Information
- Participants should apply for visas, if needed, at the corresponding consular office upon receipt of an Acceptance Note Verbale from the PTS, in order to ensure timely processing.