OVERVIEW: DPRK SEPT. 2016 ANNOUNCED TEST
At 00:30 (UTC) on 09 September 2016 an unusual seismic event was detected by the International Monitoring System (IMS). The North Korean state news agency has now announced it conducted its fifth successful nuclear test. The event seems to have been slightly larger than the one the system recorded on 6 January this year and the location is very similar to that event. The initial location estimate shows that the event took place in the area of the DPRK’s nuclear test site.
Selected Press clippings
- Security Council strongly condemns DPRK nuclear test (United Nations)
- Nuclear Test Ban Treaty incomplete, 20 years on (Al Jazeera)
- IAEA, CTBTO Condemn Latest Nuclear Test by North Korea (Latin American Herald Tribune)
- North Korea conducts 'biggest atomic test yet' as Pyongyang hails 'nuclear warhead explosion' (Telegraph)
- 박 대통령 “김정은 정권의 광적인 무모함 증명”…조기 귀국 (KBS News)
VIDEO: The Day We Caught a Nuclear Explosion: How CTBTO and Member States experts detected and analyzed the 2013 announced DPRK nuclear test.